'Tis the season for festive juggling! Putting your house on the market during the holidays can be overwhelming. If you are wondering if you can put out your Christmas decorations while also showing your house, the answer is yes, you can. A home without seasonal decoration during the holidays feels bare and uninspiring.
Here are a few simple rules to help create a cozy feel during the holidays to sell your house fast. Remember your realtor is always an important resource, so ask them for feedback on your decorations as well.
1. Neutral is best. You don’t want your space to be an explosion of red and green or a museum of your personal family mementos. You want potential buyers to imagine their own lives in the space. Pack away special mementos and kid-made ornaments. Decorate your tree with a classic theme, such as white lights and white and gold balls, or icicle lights and tinsel. Put a simple centerpiece of pine cones on the counter.
2. Match your current décor. You don’t want potential buyers to walk into your living room and experience a clash of colors. If you have earthy tones, decorate with cranberries and forest greens. If you have cool tones, decorate with white snowflakes or silver ornaments.
3. Accentuate the positives. If you have tall ceilings, highlight them with a tall tree. If you have a small living space, choose decorations to scale. Have a great archway? Hang some mistletoe from the center of the arch to draw the eyes to the architectural detail. If you have a fireplace, light a fire before the showing.
4. Don’t forget the exterior. The same rules apply for the outside decorations as the inside. Opt for white lights and a simple wreath. Steer clear of the inflatable Santa.
5. Make it smell like Christmas. Decorate with fresh greens or a real Christmas tree to create the scent memory of Christmas. Before open houses and showings, prepare hot apple cider and Christmas cookies.